New to the blog?

Go here to start from the beginning...

Have any tips on how I can get my Gmail account back? Leave me a comment!

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

An interesting coincidence

So, Scumbag appears to have given up on me. I guess he finally figured out that he's not getting anything from me. But, of course, I still am without my Gmail, Google Voice, and other Google services all tied to my Google account. Nevermind that I still get calls via my Google Voice number -- I can't convince Google that it's really, truly my account.

Now, while all this fun was going on with my account, my wife decided that she'd better change the password on her Google account. She initially had problems getting in and actually had to reset her password (which, unlike me, she was able to do). Naturally, she was a little concerned that her account may have been hacked as well. I did a thorough check and all seemed well. However, the next day, she started getting e-mails for the purchase of AVG and Norton Backup services and a thoughtful recipe from her friend Janet. Except she doesn't have a friend named Janet and she didn't order AVG nor Norton. So, it appears that someone with the same name as my wife had her Gmail account hacked the same day as me. Much like me, she freaked out. And, just like me, she couldn't get it back. Google doesn't believe that the account is hers. She filled out the same form that I've used countless time, and...had no success (what a surprise!). So, she tried to create a new account on Google, perhaps got a little confused, and ended up ordering some security software and having the details sent to my wife's Gmail account.

Thankfully, Janet was able to put my wife in touch with this poor woman and they were able to sort things out.

Unfortunately, this once again demonstrates how Google's options for getting a hacked account back fall woefully short of being even remotely helpful. Google must change its practices and respond swiftly and quickly when accounts are hacked and then used to try and dupe others. Thankfully (to my knowledge), none of my friends, family, and other online acquaintances were duped by this phishing scheme, but if this is a common tactic, no doubt there have been plenty of people that have been duped. Not to mention that I now have a telephone number that I have no control over that forwards to all of my phones. If someone calls it, they can reach me if I answer, but if they leave me a voicemail, I have no way of listening to it.

Help me spread the word that those of us that use Google's services are one hack away from being completely locked out with no recourse other than an automated system that doesn't work. Link to this site from Facebook, Twitter, wherever you can -- it is much appreciated!!

Do you have a similar story to share? E-mail me the details and I'll post your story here on the blog. (Don't worry, I'll keep things anonymous on the blog, but will keep your contact information in the event that Google actually gets in touch with me...but don't get your hopes up.)

In the meantime, I'll see if I can get Scumbag back in the game...

No comments:

Post a Comment